Friday, August 1, 2008

Kungpao Dragon Fly

The athletes have been arriving in Beijing and moving into the Olympic Village. Activity at the NAC has picked up as athletes begin to practice and train. Pre-Games testing has begun at the venues and at the Olympic Village. I will not disclose the names of those tested. If there are any positive tests, I am certain it will be all over the media.

At the end of the work day, we went to the Olympic Park and walked through the Park. Only workers with credentials can get into the Olympic Park at this point, but soon it will be opened to the public and will be filled with people from all over the world. Many will have face paint, carry flags, and yell cheers for their teams as the Games commence.

Had another good laugh today. I was asked if I was hungry and wanted a snake to eat. A snake?! So, I moved my arm in a sidewinding motion and asked if they were going to eat a snake. Ooops, she meant “snack.” I also learned that “chicken” sounds very similar to the Chinese word for Dragon Fly. That might explain the strange looks I have received from servers in restaurants when I point to the menu and ask if an item is chicken. Is it possible that I have had Kungpao Dragon Fly and didn’t know it? Well, it all tastes like chicken, anyway, so who knows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Captain Petey! It's great to be able to see what's going on - fascinating! Looking forward to reading more. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating and unique perspective on a very interesting Olympics indeed. I look forward to following your stories over the upcoming weeks!

Anonymous said...

hahahah
Good thing it was a dragon fly in BJ.
"chicken" in hong kong is slang for
prostitute!

-Kirby