Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Busy Days

The Games are in full force and the atmosphere is full of energy. We have conducted a large number of drug tests. Still, there is time to go poolside to watch the events, and we also have a direct feed on a television in the doping control station. More than 30 world or Olympic records have been broken already, and we also test them to validate the results. All medal winners are tested, as well as some at random. It is very hard to describe how emotional some of the medal ceremonies are. Those are conducted at the pool also.

Because of the work schedule, there is really no time for sightseeing anymore, but I was able to see a fair amount already. There is a parade twice a day at the Olympic Green (a large Park around the National Aquatics Center, the National Stadium, the National Indoor Stadium, and other venues) in the morning and the afternoon, which I saw two days ago. Tonight, I am having dinner with my two doping control officer partners, Feng (Kitty) and Li (Linda).



Olympic Green Parade

I haven't heard much about doping cases, but did hear about one cyclist who tested positive during pre-competition testing and was expelled.

Must go. They need the computer here at the NAC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome!

Unknown said...

Dude,

I keep looking for you standing poolside as Phelps walks around the deck during post race interviews just so I can say "I know that guy!" Thanks for the very interesting first person reports thus far. I've been glued to the television watching as many events as possible and sleep deprivation is becoming a factor. Have fun! Mitani