Friday, August 15, 2008

Phelps Wins Another Gold, and I Say Goodbye

Yesterday, August 14, 2008, was my last day of work. Michael Phelps won his 6th gold medal. Wow! When I checked in at the NAC in the morning, by scanning my credentials, the person manning the computer called out something in Chinese. Was there a problem? The manager of the area walked up to me and pulled me aside. He said that he understood that this was to be my last day at the Water Cube and in China, and he had a gift for me--five wrist bands of the five colors of the Olympic rings. How nice! But, how did he know it was my last day? He laughed and told me that my partner, Li (Linda), came in early to tell him. They continue to amaze me with their hospitality.

There was no diving scheduled for the afternoon, so we had a break between the morning and evening swimming events. Many of the DCOs and chaperones wanted to take photos with me, and they gave me pins, cards, and other gifts. Chen, the young man who showed me around my first day at the NAC, made a calligraphy for me with my name and “Beijing 2008” in Chinese. It is something I will frame. And, the manager of the DC station took all the DCOs to lunch at a Chinese restaurant to thank me for working with them.



DCO's at lunch-Last Day


Gang (pronounced “Gong”) is one of the DCOs with whom I work at the Water Cube. Two nights ago, we were working quite late and still had to finish completing the chain-of-custody forms to send along with the specimens that would be taken by armed guard to the anti-doping lab. At about 2330, Gang offered to stay and finish the forms by himself so that the rest of us could go home since we had to be back at 0800. He told me that Doping Control set up an apartment near the NAC for such occasions and he would go to this apartment rather than take the long ride to his home. I should add that we were all instructed to take taxis home when leaving so late, and now the fare was paid by BOCOG. The next morning, I asked Gang how the apartment was. He told me that there was a large room about 200 square meters and it had five single beds in it. And, not only did he not bring a change of clothes, the air conditioning did not work and there was no shower. I told Gang that I was very grateful that he was not my DCO partner!! Pugh! We had a good laugh. Anyway, after lunch yesterday, five of us played a card game called “pig” which Gang had taught me. It is a game where you can get positive or negative points, and Gang lost both of the games we played--and I was the one who kept passing him the pig (the Queen of Spades). It was pretty funny!

We finished the day at 2200 yesterday, and it was difficult to say goodbye to my new friends. I told the FINA representative that I had a proposal for a new swimming event--coed relays. He smiled, but I could not tell if he liked the idea or not. If it comes to pass, remember you heard it here first.

My two DCO partners, Li (Linda) and Feng (Kitty), picked me up at my apartment at 5:00 p.m. today and drove me to the airport. I was planning to take a taxi, but they insisted on taking me for one last goodbye. We grew close to each other during my 25 days in China, and we hugged a long time before I finally left them behind as I walked through the security check. I will never forget their hospitality, generosity, and friendship.

No comments: