Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lessons Learned

Long Beach, CA

I arrived home on Friday night, three hours before I left China, thanks to the 15-hour difference in time zones and crossing back over the International Date Line. Yesterday (Saturday) was the end of the swimming events, and Michael Phelps accomplished the unprecedented 8 gold medals he had set his sights on. What a feat! I weighed myself yesterday and I lost 3 kg; maybe I should get a medal, too!

In addition to the fun I had and the friends I made, this experience has been very valuable to my expertise in doping control. I saw several areas where I can offer suggestions to improve the DC process in the future, and I will send my suggestions to the appropriate authorities. As a pharmacist with expertise in doping control, I was able to offer unique skills and perspective. For example, a team physician from a European country did not want his athlete to disclose the use of oral contraceptives when I was taking a medication history. He told me that oral contraceptives were not medications because they didn’t treat anything. (I realize that ALL pharmacists who read this will raise their eyebrows.). I explained to both him and the athlete, that not only were OCs indeed medications, but some had the potential to complicate the drug test (parent drug and/or metabolites), and that it would be best to disclose. I wasn’t able to convince him that OCs were medications, and I didn’t have the time to debate him, but I did convince him that the athlete should disclose their use. Another example was when an athlete asked a DCO why it was necessary to measure specific gravity of the specimens. A very good question. Everyone in the room looked over at me, so I walked over to the athlete and explained how the urine specimen must be at least a certain concentration because the laboratory cannot detect substances if they are too diluted. Simple chemistry. The athlete told me that it made good sense.

Learning about Chinese culture, and learning the hearts and minds of my Chinese friends was an incredible experience. I have many feelings about life in China, but it is beyond the scope of this blog. But, what I would like to share is that the people are very respectful, they work hard, they have a lot of pride, and they are so loving and caring. They are more Westernized that I expected.

I must thank the UCSF School of Pharmacy, particularly Joe Guglielmo (Department Chair) and Mary Anne Koda-Kimble (Dean) for their support of my Olympic work, and to fellow faculty member, Robin Corelli, for covering my responsibilities while I was away.

Thanks to those of you who sent emails and posted comments to my blog. I was happy to share this experience with you.

Peter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make us proud!
maybe 1 day you will get your gold medal
-Kirby